Monday, February 12, 2007

Scarf Update

After another few days of knitting this other than this balloon scarf, I'm only a whopping 2.5 repeats into it...


but I'm really happy with how it's turning out. Also, apparently, my camera thought it would be a good idea to show a blue scarf as if it were steel gray....but whatever...life goes on.

Here's a close up of the balloons, because I think they are really cool:

Again, not supposed to be gray, but what can ya do.

Now that the knitaround has unoffcially started, mr. balloon is not the only scarf in my life. I started the Asherton scarf, but I decided that I'm not going to use that one for the knitaround. It's slightly more labor intensive than I imagined, in the sense that you really need to keep track of where you are in the pattern. I'm sure it gets easy as you continue, but since this scarf will be passed from knitter to knitter, I don't want people to feel like they're under too much pressure not to make a mistake. And I think that the point is a knitaround isn't just to get other knitters to be your workhorses.

So, instead of that scarf, the new plan is to harness everyone's creativity to make a random (possibly awesome, possibly disasterous) scarf with my leftover (cheap-o) acrylic yarn from back in the day. The plan is to knit on size 10.5 needles, with the yarn doubled, so each knitter can choose how to mix colors and any strping variation they'd like.

Like I said, it could be a total disaster, or it could turn out fabulous...we shall see. The one thing I do know, is that there is no better use for all this less than nice yarn. At the very least, this will be fun way to get rid of it.

No comments: