Monday, February 26, 2007

Socks Galore!

You may have noticed a lack of sock posts on this knitting blog & the truth is, I love knitting socks, it's just that I was a little socked-out after the X-mas gift-making season. This weekend, I finally got these American Hoohah socks off the needles. They've been on the brink of being finished since December, but I just wasn't motivated to finish them.

For the record, these were my first project on size zero needles.

Though, if I were to make them over again, I'd go for a short-row heel and it'd make them a little less snug. They fit my feet almost too perfectly, I don't know if any other feet would like them. Also, although the novelty yarn was fun and made some silly socks, I think it'd be much more interesting to use a solid yarn and work a pattern other than stockinette.

Here's another sock that's near completion, but has been on the needles forever. I think I turned the heel sometime in December, but just got socked-out. It's Grumperina's Jaywalker pattern & I love! how it looks on this yarn. The stripes are thin enough to really show the zigzag pattern. I continued the zigzags down the instep, but all the photos from that angle were blurry, so you'll have to use your imagination.

So that was the good news. The bad news is that I'll probably have to frog the entire sock and start again, because the top of the sock is a nightmare to get over your heel. Also, I totally botched the short-row heel on this one (my first short-row, so give me a break)...hence the no close-ups of this sock...it's hole-city!

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of bummed about having to take it apart, so I might have to wait until I'm not so emotionally attached to it. But good news again, it's not knit on zeros, it's knit on twos & it's fast to make & I'll be doing the same pattern, so hopefully they will both be done soon (and turn out to be more foot-sized).

And this last sock is what I did yesterday. In December, I had been working this sock in the Jaywalker pattern as well, but the color variation and the pattern didn't go together very well. So I took it apart yesterday and started this sock.

Seriously, making this sock was all I did yesterday. Ok, well aside from eating and sleeping till the afternoon (mmm, sundays). I cast on at 5ish and had this much done at 9ish. Also, my hands were killing me, so I decided that it was time to take blog pictures and such. Operating my camera is so much easier on the hands than socks.

I call this one the Candy Thuja sock, because the yarn looks like candy and I'm using the Thuja pattern from knitty. I substituted a short-row heel (my new best friend) & unlike my blue Jaywalker, this short-row heel does not suck!

See:


Ok, so the picture's a little blurry, but all the stitches in the heel line up like they are supposed to & there are no! holes. At first, I wasn't crazy about how the yarn was pooling. It didn't look like any sort of pattern at all. But actually, it seems to be creating a spiral stripe (just coincidentally I think) , which looks pretty cool.

And here is my next sock project:


Yes, this one used to be an almost complete sock as well. I had to frog it because I decided that the needles I used were too big. No big deal. Like I said, I was socked out for a while, so this had been sitting on my shelf since forever. Now I think I'm gonna come up with some sort of spiral pattern that will spice up the big thick primary color stripes in this yarn...

Also, the Gentleman's Fancy socks are making progress, though not much at the moment. But no pictures of them for now.

No comments: